Bircher Muesli, or overnight oats, is a classic breakfast dish originating in Switzerland and Germany. It’s such a delicious way to enjoy the humble porridge oat, and makes a refreshing change from your standard porridge. It requires minimal fuss and save you time because you prep them the night before – simply take them out the fridge in the morning, add your choice of toppings and tuck in!
Not only is this recipe super easy – it’s really healthy too. Porridge oats provide a type of solube fibre called oat beat glucans which can lower your cholesterol. They’re also high in fibre, a source of protein and provide slow releasing energy to keep you going until lunch. For optimal benefits, top with fruit, nuts and seeds which are packed with important vitamins, minerals and fibre. Choose unsweetened almond milk and add just a teaspoon of runny honey to limit sugar intake.
Ingredients (for 1):
- 50g porridge oats
- 1/2 apple, coarsely grated (save the otheer half cling-filmed in the refrigerator for topping)
- 6 raspberries (plus extra for topping)
- 2 heaped tbsp low fat natural yogurt
- 50 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp runny honey
- flaked almonds
- Tip the porridge oats into a small bowl, add the grated apple, raspberries, almond milk, honey and natural yogurt then mix together thoroughly, ensuring you crush the raspberries a little.
- Cover with cling film and leave the oats to soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- Uncover in the morning, stir again, and top with the remaining sliced apple, more raspberries and flaked almonds.