This ratatouille is really versatile and makes a great base for so many meals. It’s super cheap and you can add any left over veg you’ve got in the fridge too. It will keep in the fridge for 4 days in an airtight container. I’ve made it into a pasta bake here by mixing it with par-boiled pasta and baking with grated parmesan and mozzarella. Later in the week I served it with homemade pesto baked salmon and some lemon infused cous cous – so delicious! (recipe coming soon!)
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
– 1 aubergine
– 1 courgette
– 1 red onion
– 1 red pepper
– 2 garlic cloves
– 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
– 25 ml extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
– 1 tsp sugar
– salt and pepper
- Dice the aubergine, courgette and red onion, then slice the peppers and finely chop the garlic.
- Tip all the veg and the garlic into a large saucepan/sauté pan and fry over a medium heat with the olive oil until softened (about 10 minutes). Stir regularly to ensure the veg cooks evenly.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, sugar, oregano, chilli (if using), plenty of salt and pepper and 3/4 of the tin full of water. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take the lid off and leave to simmer for about 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until it’s rich and thick.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil.