This is definitely my favourite way to cook salmon – it stays so moist and cooks perfectly every time! You can serve this salmon with pretty much anything you like. Here I’ve served it with my homemade ratatouille and lemon infused cous cous, but it’s great with new potatoes and asparagus too. The cous cous is simply made to packet instructions and mixed with salt, pepper, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. The ratatouille recipe is up on my blog (Click Here). This is the same pesto I use for my Spaghetti with Homemade Basil Pesto which is a perfect 15 minute meal.
Ingredients (for 1 with leftover pesto):
– large handful of fresh basil leaves
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 15 g grated parmesan
– small handful of toasted pine nuts (toast in a frying pan over a low heat until golden)
– 1 small garlic clove
– sea salt and black pepper
– squeeze of lemon juice
– 1 fresh salmon fillet
- Place the basil, toasted pine nuts, parmesan, garlic and extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice in a pestle and mortar, then bash it all together. The consistency should be a thick sauce/paste but not completely smooth – it’s okay to have lumps and bits of pine nut in there. Season with plenty of sea salt and black pepper. TIP: you can use a food processor or hand blender instead of a pestle and mortar. If you don’t have any of these, a rolling pin and metal mixing bowl will do the same job!
- Taste your pesto here, and adjust it to your taste. Store in the fridge until needed.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (electric) or 180°C (fan)
- Drizzle a little olive oil into a small ovenproof dish then place the salmon fillet on top, skin side down.
- Spread an even layer of the pesto on top of the salmon and season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with a foil lid.
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until it’s cooked, but still tender and moist. TIP: To check if the salmon is cooked, stick a shark knife in at the side in the middle of the fillet and it should be pale pink all the way through. It should also flake easily. If it is raw/orange in the middle, return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- Serve with my Ratatouille , lemon and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.